Hook: #2 to 6 Gamakatsu SL45 or #2 – 1/0 SL12s
Thread: salmon flat waxed
Tail – tan marabou
Bodywrap – rootbeer estaz chenille
Legs – tan spinnerbait shirt
Head – Built up thread
Eyes – gold barbell
1. Lay down a base of thread from the hook eye to the bend and finish with the thread behind the eye.
2. Attach the barbell eyes behind hook eye and wrap thread back to the hook bend.
3. Tie in the marabou over the hook point and bind slightly around the hook bend. (When sitting on the bottom, the marabou needs to be pointing upwards. This not only ensures that the fly turns over so that it is hook point up but also it allows the marabou to wave around enticingly in the water movement.)
4. Tie in body wrap at the hook bend and transfer thread back to half way along the hook shank.
5. Attach three rubber legs using figure of eight wraps and move thread to behind the hook eye.
6. Using close wraps but not overlapping, wrap body material around shank back up to barbell eyes, tie off and trim excess chenille. Whip finish thread in front of barbell eyes.
7. Remove from vice, hold the legs out of the way and trim the sides of the body to a “crab shape”.
8. Trim the bottom of the crab flat. Spread the legs and apply a small dollop of silicone and work it into the materials on the bottom of the fly.